Sunday, September 23, 2012

| YEAAAAAHHH SUCK IT, REBEL MOTHERSHIP

FINALLY beat that motherfucker. I had to resort to pulling a James T. Kirk on the game, but that shit is just ridiculous.

Basically, what I did was get to the final battle sector with a near perfect rig. Pre-ignition, 2-level cloak, two 3-shot blast lasers, one 2-shot heavy laser, a pike beam and a level-2 attack drone. Didn't have enough weapons control / energy to keep the pike beam energized, so went with all lasers (8 shots per volley).

Also, fully upgraded the interior doors. I can't even begin to tell you how much that helps with the stupid boarding parties.

Now, here's where I James T. Kirk'd it a bit, lol. As I entered the final stand I hit the save & exit button. That closes the game and creates a "continue" as well as a "save" file in the windows/documents/my games/FTL folder (or whatever it is... something along those lines). I went ahead and created a sub-folder in that folder called "cont final battle" and copied/pasted those two files into the sub folder.

From there, fought through to the mothership, killed him on the first battle pretty easily. SAVED AND EXITED AGAIN, did the same copy-paste into a new folder "after first battle". Beat the second battle after 2 attempts. And beat the final battle on the 2nd attempt. All you have to do is copy/paste the "saved" game back into the root directory and the next time you launch the game you click "continue".

Looking at my stats, I was averaging about 1 trip to the final stand sector every 8-10 play-throughs, so I figure my little James T. Kirk move saved me about 50-100 play throughs to finally beat that final ship. lol.

I'm going to try and go for some of the achievements to unlock the powered-up versions of the ships before giving "normal" an honest go.

I will say this without spoiilers, after having played through the last battle a few times now.. I cannot imagine trying to beat that without having a cloaking device installed (and probably only a level 2 cloaking device).