Monday, November 14, 2011

Sorry San Juan didn't work out! Playing a bummer game always sucks. A similar game which a lot of people like more is Race for the Galaxy, similar mechanics, different theming, more complex. I think you'd like it but doesn't seem like a good girlfriend type of game. Have you considered trying a LARP?

Aeryk, I will never understand your weird (and unusual!) antipathy towards Puerto Rico, but I love you anyway. I don't actually think the theme is that dry for a Euro -- it's fun to place your plantations, your little disc people, etc. -- but the reason it works for me is the mechanics. They're just so clean, with so many different strategies and routes to victory. What I usually see when teaching the game is there's this moment when the mechanics click, and suddenly you kind of gain comprehension of this weird but elegant machine, and you've got to figure a way to take control of it and win. Edit: which usually I fail at. I kind of suck at Puerto Rico. If I started winning, maybe it'd be less satisfying....