Monday, October 10, 2011

| Dreadfleet? More like Debtfleet...

Yaaar! I did purchase Dreadfleet. It is a miniature game. Typical simplified GW mechanics. Still reading through the book. Though I suspect since I never finish painting anything, it will never get played. There was a review that said it had too much chance involved (fate cards). So tactics didn't play as much of a role in winning. I suspect this might be the rock'em sock'em of naval games.

I don't know how expensive plastic miniature production is, but it looks like they skimped on the non-miniature game components. Granted, I may be spoiled by Fantasy Flight. But it's not like this thing was inexpensive.

Initial impressions:

Plus
- Great miniatures
- Naval themed tablecloth
- Great old school GW John Blanche artwork
- Thick solid box
- Zip baggies included

Minus
- Awful, awful, awful book binding. Book is already coming apart at the spine.
- Flimsy ship cards (character sheet). It wouldn't normally be a issue, but to keep track of wounds and such, you slide cards underneath it. I can already see things sliding all over the place because the ship card wasn't hefty enough to keep everything down.
- What is GW's fetish with skulls everywhere?

I don't suggest buying it if you are looking for a pirate game. I bought it mainly for the minis.