Wednesday, October 15, 2003

yeah, keep on going, 'cause I'm the ultimate gangster

I've been pretty good lately. Still reading a shit ton; I finished one long book, am reading some turbo-intellectual short stories by a guy named Borges (so I look like I'm smart, even though I have no fucking idea what's going on), and I'm wondering if I should read something shorter before diving into Quicksilver. (Note: not literally. That shit is poisonous!)

Also been reading a shit ton of RPG shizat. My Exalted read-fest continues unabated, and I've been looking through the mass of stuff available for Savage Worlds. That's a generic RPG designed to run quickly and have little bookkeeping/prep time. I find that as life moves on I still love RPGs but it is tough to get time to prepare for that shit man. So I'm checking out the quick-play shiyat too. I already looked at Tri-Stat but I don't think it's for me.

Anyway Savage Worlds contrasts well with Exalted. SW is pretty quick and is 144 pages. Exalted is a dense, complex kung-fu asskicking game with like thousands of pages of material avaiable, much of which I am sad to say I own.

I'm starting to feel like I'm a candidate for an RPG PhD or something.

On to more interesting things. I saw Better Luck Tomorrow which reminded me of Johnny's days as a young gangsta. Actually it reminded me more of those idiots that tried to rob the computer lab at Costa. You guys know who I'm talking about. Rhymed with "Talk-a-nishi" and "Learner." It was about bored straight-A kids who turn to crime. The kids are basically all assholes, some more sympathetic, but still assholes. It was a pretty good movie. I also saw "Kill Bill" and I thought it was awesome. Some parts were a little slow but all in all it felt like a Tarantino flick to me. I actually thought the splitting it in half worked, too.

I got Babylon 5 from Netflix and so far it fucking sucks! So, that's that.

By our best guesstimate, this weekend marks the 3rd year anniversary of my alternate gaming group containing Denis, Laurie, Peter, and young Fared. We've probably played an average of once every 4 or 5 weeks, but that is still pretty damn amazing.

Gee, I guess I'm up to nothing but books, games, and movies. Next time I will blog about my many experiences with folk music and Las Vegas prostitute ranches.