Sunday, February 02, 2003

Thwarted Again

So in Aaron's continued saga of denial of internet connections here is the latest update. I finally got my phone service on Thursday. Yeah for me. At that point I decide to set up my internet. Some time ago I took my modem out, so now is the time to stick it back in. I even brought it up from LA. So I bust it out and go to stick it in... You all remeber when my MoBo blew out almost a year ago? Well when I bought a new one, I decided ISA slots were so passe. Nevermind that my modem is ISA. D'oh! No worries I will set up the internet on Aimey's computer (AKA the supped up version of Elric's power droid). I turn it on after being off for a week.. No video signal. After a bit of troubleshooting I come to find the video card ate it. Okay, it is probably 5 or 6 years old and in its third machine at least. Whatever, I have a replacement, Elric's old Intergraph VooDoo Banshee. Of course I would have no drivers for it and it will not run in anything other than standard VGA (640x480, 16 colors). Grrrrr....Whatever! I will download the drivers, right? Nope. No I cannot find my internet Dial-Up software. I remember now, throwing away the mindspring dial-up software a long time ago because I said I would never go back to dial-up again. Great! Anyway, I remeber now trying to install that Video card into a machine a while ago. The drivers are not to be found anymore. A non-existant company producing a rare and unpopular piece of 3Dfx chipset history. I scrubbed the internet for a number of hours last time. Nevermind I will just breakdown and buy a new PCI modem so I do not have to deal with the other computer. 40 bucks. Boo.. They should give those things away. Once I find earthlink software and a modem I give the connection a whirl. Modem installs fine, Earthlink... Will not install competely. Gets hung up on checking for access #'s. Fucker. Call tech support, the knucklehead tells me it is a earthlink network issue. Great. Fuckum in the back now, I'll Configure the damn dial up myself. Fucker works and I do not have to deal with lame tech support, which entailed enduring a tech ignoring my questions and pretending to be doing something and then apoligzing after I ask the question twice, get silence, ask if he is there, get silence and then get an insincere apology. Bastard! So anyway I get connected with none other than a 28.8 dial up speed. FUCK! What the hell am I supposed to do with 28.8kbs. Even checking email sucks. I tried 4 dial up numbers and I can not get better than 28.8. Hey but even though I can not get Cable or DSL broadband, I can get Satillite and plunk down $70 a month. Bury me! I think I will go piss on an electrical fire now.

On other fronts, I had an interesting experience in Chinatown. Went to check out the Chinese new year festivities in China town. A crap load of firecrackers and people, not much else. Got to watch aimey buy dried squid and grind on that. Ick... Smells like the end of the MB Pier deep in the summer. No thanks, I would rather lick moldy cattle dung. While we were waiting for a bus some bum, whips out his schlong and just starts wizzing right in plain view, his wang just hanging out there for everyone to see.

Anyway I am off to check my email.

Mega Bortz