Wednesday, February 05, 2003

That is a scary, scary ass quote. Anyway...

I was involved in the most emotional water polo game yesterday. It was sick. I won't bore you with the details... actually, I will. We were down 6-2 in the third quarter. The guy I coach with was ready to throw in the towel, but something told me we were down but not out. Unbelievably, we worked the ball down and scored 2 quick goals. Then the other team's stud player fouled out of the game... and it was on. The fourth quarter rolls around and we are still down 6-4. We score another goal really quick and then tie the game 6-6 with one minute to play. We go ape shit! But, as quickly as that happened, our defense sucked ass and the other team scored to make it 7-6. We have another scoring oppertunity, but we turned it over with 27 seconds to go, still down by a goal. Inexpicalby, the other team does not run out the clock, but hurries the ball down and turns it over with 3 seconds to go. We quickly call a time out. At that point, we were allowed to set up our offense. We tell our goalie to take the free pass. She puts a perfect pass into our hole set (which is comprable to the center in basketball) and the hole set whips a perfect shot past the goalie with 2 seconds to go, to make it 7-7! Holy shit, right? We go to overtime, which is 2, 3 minute quarters. Nobody scores in the first 3 minute quarter, then with a minute to go in the last of overtime, we score! We win 8-7!

This may not mean anything to you, but the coach that we beat was my old coach from high school. That son of a bitch came up to me and said, "You guys won because our best player got ejected," but I just laughed and said, "Hey Mike, scoreboard." Pretty much nothing in my life has compared to out coaching the man who made 3 out of the 4 years in high school athletics a living hell for me. After the game, the girls did a cheer: "Who's house? T's [Torrance's] house!" At least for this game, indeed.