Sunday, September 01, 2013

| Robinson "Motley" Crusoe

Is a blast!  It's the worker placement game I have always been looking for, but never found in Dungeon Petz/Lordz or 'Gricola.  I've played two, two-player games so far and the first time we were trounced, naturally, since we had no idea what was going on, and the second game we sacrified Friday in the 9th turn to get enough wood to light the fire to signal the ship on the 10th.  Sure, MAYBE he would have survived if we had been more careful, but we were down to 5 HP each, so rather than put him through the hell of returning to England after being rescued, we thought it would be best if he could be at peace with his ancestors...

It's a really fun game, and if you can find a copy, I highly recommend you pick one up.  It's a bit pricey retail, and unavailable online for less than $100.  I had a $25 rewards discount at my FLGS, so it was only $60 for me.

Really, really worth it.  I can see busting this one out for a long time.  As long as the mechanics don't get stale, I think the variability between the cards and the exploration between games of the same scenario will keep me coming back for more.

PATHFINDER
I want to like it.  I think there is much to the experience that I'm missing a) using the character I'm using, and b) playing solo.  I so much wanted more out of it, I began posting on BGG about it.  What I got out of that experience is that as soon as you mix in multiple players and/or characters, the game begins to blossom, and I chose the wrong solo character because he's mostly about support, so is less interesting by himself.

I was going to finish the first story deck with my dorf hunter, but I think I might reset the decks and start over from scratch with a different character to see just how much it changes with a different character.  I't not that it's a bad game, it's just there isn't much to do or much excitement.  I've played probably 8 games now (?) and can think of perhaps 3 interesting things that happened?  I hear that TOTALLY changes with more players, but it's ho-hum for me so far.