Thursday, September 05, 2013

| jr0n plays: Path Finder Adventure Card Game

Got in four games over the last couple days. I think I am jaded by the awesome solo games I've been playing lately... I'm not exactly underwhelmed, maybe just barely whelmed.

I ran with the Elven Rogue, alleged queen of solo (and anal). That first scenario is hard! I got pretty well toasted the first two attempts, and cleaned up on the third. It was fun grabbing extra loot as a prize for beating the scenario... I scored a sweet pair of eagle-themed sunglasses. Moved on with the same character to the second scenario, which is WAY easier (and is really tailored towards the Rogue's skillset, as well). Lots of loot and allies, way fewer monsters to overcome. I'm not too sure why that wasn't the intro scenario.

Gameplay... SUPER simple. There are occasionally some tough decisions to make, but for the most part you just crank along and do the obvious thing. At times this is fun and at times it engenders malaise. It doesn't quite feel thematic enough solo. I'm thinking this will be a lot more fun with 2+ heroes so you can get some synergy going and swap loot back and forth -- either one person playing multiple heroes or multiple players. I've got a play date with enr0n on Saturday, maybe we'll break it out then?

Pros:
* Probably great for the stupid fucking babies who like the Pathfinder RPG
* Fun to roll lots of dice
* It is fast

Cons:
* Box is hard to open