Thursday, May 02, 2013

Picked up a couple apps for the iThingy:

- Eclipse: Still working my way through the tutorial, but it seems like a very good translation of the game. Hoping to get this one on the table at Kubla, so I'm glad to have something to play to help me with the rules/practice strategy!

- Sorcery!: This kinda came out of nowhere, but wow, it's really cool. It's the first book from the old Steve "the other Steve Jackson" Jackson's series (The Shamutanti Hills), and it's super-impressive in its presentation. You're still basically reading the book, but there's a map that you move around on, your inventory and the combat are nicely handled, it's fun. I'm also pretty impressed by the writing. It's nothing fancy but it's evocative, and the art is really cool and weird.

You can also rewind the story if you fuck up or want to explore other paths, gotta like legitimized cheating!

If you liked these books or like the idea of playing something different I definitely recommend it.

Hopefully they make the other ones. I think for some reason I didn't have Book 2 (I borrowed it from Eric Toth maybe?) but Book 3 was crazy hard and Book 4 was REALLY long (900 entries or something). I don't think I beat that one without cheating.