Wednesday, June 22, 2011

So, are you still down south J-Knee or have you moved up north? I got a new mini's skirmish game (Earth Reborn) the other day I wanna try out and it's 2-4 ppl. Also, you gotta tell me about the gaming groups you tried through meetup. I looked some up but I can't tell which are cool or not. I got a gaming itch that needs scratching.

Lately I've been into reading about different indie RPGS that have cool settings and interesting mechanics. I have an even slimmer chance of ever playing these, but they're fun to check out and dream about. I'm looking into the online virtual table stuff, but even so, it's hard get wrangle peeps together for that. Check out these cool games:

Dread: Horror RPG. Diceless, numberless. You setup a Jenga tower in the middle of the table and "pulls" are used to determine if you succeed at a task. Sounds fun.

Old School Hack: Good old fashion Red Box style dungeon crawl with some modern gaming elements. This one is free and looks really fun.

Fiasco: This one looks neat. "You’ll play ordinary people with powerful ambition and poor impulse control." You create these Coen Brother-esque situations. The actual game system looks kinda free-form/party game style. A lot of people say it goes over well with non rpgers.

Dogs in the Vineyard: "roleplaying God's Watchdogs in a West that never quite was." This game has a pretty rad setting. "The core premise of the setting is that the PCs are the religious and secular "lawmen" of the land, protecting the Faithful from evil and punishing sinners." It's sort of a Mormon religious setting but I think there's monsters and shit too.