Saturday, May 08, 2010

| Le Axe

Thursday I get called into a meeting with my boss and his boss.

BOSS: Just wanted to let you know, at that meeting in 15 minutes, we're laying everybody off.
HIS BOSS: Don't tell anyone!
(15 minutes later)
BOSS: Hi everyone, you are all laid off.

SO, basically I have a job for a couple months, then we're outsourcing everything. (Which is a horrible idea, that will end up costing much more money than it saves, but fortunately that is not my problem.) The upside is that I've already been job searching pretty hard for a couple of months already, so a) I've already laid a lot of job search groundwork that otherwise I'd just be starting b) now I can explicitly job search during work hours.

It's bizarre. Two more months of employment? We're supposed to train these externals how to do our jobs, but seriously, it's not gonna take that long. And we really don't need all of us to do it. As of about a week ago, we hit our slow season anyway. Thursday and Friday were already dire, grim days where people were mostly drunk or not there. I can only imagine what it'll be like in a month or so.