Tuesday, April 28, 2009

| Regale Away... I'll Start

I bought the two phonebooks (player's compendium/GM's compendium) from Lulu. 550 pages each! What Eric once aptly called the "FASA juggernaut" just grows over time (and in my heart, aww).

I bought 'em because they're going out of print when they put out (duh duh daaa) 3rd edition in a few months. Redbrick has got a publishing deal with Mongoose to do print books. My impression is that 3rd ed will be fairly compatible with the red brick version, and whatever they charge for the new books it certainly won't be that volume of support material for that price!

Anyway, I love Earthdawn as a setting and a system too, so I'm using this purchase to motivate myself to run it one of these days. I really want to run a campaign of "Big ED" someday and I think I have enough a critical mass of Action Teamers, role-players I work with and people that are in my game group to pull it off sometime. Or I could run a very special "campaign for one" at Kubla Con... aww, yeah.

Redbrick is also putting together "Age of Legend," which is an adaptation of Earthdawn into 4th ed. This actually makes a lot of sense to me, because many things that don't seem to me to have any rationale in 4th ed (healing yourself, the power system, etc.) actually do make sense in the logic of the ED world. That said 3rd party supplements for D&D have a mixed track record, so we'll see.