Saturday, July 19, 2008

I was reading the US constitution having read the declaration of independence remotely in Jr. High. Seemed the initial 10 amendments (bill of rights) dealt with my rights as an individual, ie (bear arms, speech, etc) but then in latter amendments, ie 16, rather approaches congress's rights. Amendment 16 gave Congress the right to tax, 13 talked about election of Pres and VP, 17 election of senators, 20 again pres terms etc. The bill of rights was meant to outline the peoples rights. I would like to see those amendments regarding government added in the legislature portion of the constitution, and not in the amendment section.

For example, Amendment 16, although I DO support government which has the right to excise a tax on income, it does not give me any rights, and thus should not be on the Bill of Rights.
Amendment 16 is worded as a totalitarian statement - Government can impose taxes.

Rather, on the Bill of Rights it should be reworded more in line with the original intent

" Congress shall not impose excessive taxes, nor excessive levies and unusual and hidden taxes..."

This enumerates my rights, and not congresses absolute right to impose tax. This would also be more in the line of the wording of the initial 10 amendments, citing example from Amendment 8

Am I pushing mongo?