Monday, January 08, 2007

Wow, rereleasing Talisman, huh? That was a fun game back in the day. I don't think I'd rebuy it but I definitely give it another shot sometime!

-- I picked up "The Art of Star Wars" (1979 edition) at a used bookstore in Berkeley. It's really cool. It has the original shooting script (with the extra scenes with Luke's buddies on Tatooine). The coolest part about it is all the old concept art and matte paintings that were done. Almost 30 years later and it is still pretty amazing.

-- I saw Pan's Labyrinth this weekend. Short summary: very interesting direction, very strong characters, some really cool creative fantasy shit, some crazy gore, two strong but divergent plots, with the more fantastic one not being served too well in the the last third of the movie, kind of unsatisfying ending. Not perfect but worth two hours of my time, I think. I really hope Guillermo del Toro directs Mountains of Madness like he's been talking about forever.

-- Also I rewatched Rushmore for probably the twentieth time this weekend. This is my favorite movie. It is perfect.